Savour the Chill & Stay Awhile Soup Contest 2019
February 23 @ 12:00 pm - 3:00 pm
Savour the Chill & Stay Awhile, in it’s 16th year, is one of downtown Belleville’s most highly anticipated events of the year. The Soup Contest is set to run on Saturday, February 23rd, from noon to 3 pm, with family friendly events, hosted by Chamber of Commerce beginning at 10 am at the Armouries on the corner of Bridge and Pinnacle.
As Canadians we love to find reasons to celebrate the harsh climate we live in, and by the end of February cabin fever has set in for many. There is something inviting about a mid-winter event where you are asked to wander from one restaurant to another tasting hot soup. Savour the Chill & Stay Awhile gives the community a reason to bundle up and attend an event where they rub shoulders with neighbours while igniting the foodie within.
This year’s event features 17 downtown Belleville restaurants who will be competing for 2 separate awards. The People’s Choice Award is voted on by visitors to the event. Soup samples cost a toonie each. Favourite soups can be submitted online from any mobile device or there will be an iPad available at the BDIA office. The second award is the Judge’s Choice Award, which is chosen by a panel of qualified judges. Judging will be hosted by Dinkel’s Restaurant at 3 pm. Judges will be blindfolded and asked to give marks for each soup they try. The soup with the highest marks will the Judge’s Choice Award. This event is a VIP event for media, restaurant owners and chef’s and it will be on Facebook live for the public to enjoy.
Participating restaurants as follows: 116 Bistro, Bourbon & Bean Handshake Society, Bourbon Street Pizza, Café E, Cafe Sans Souci, Capers, Chilangos Mexican Restaurant, Earl & Angelos, Focus Coffee Bar (Century Village location), Gourmet Diem, Jim Pizzaria, Modern Café, Mr.Zeds Authentic Greek Souvlaki & Burgers, Paulo’s Restaurant, The Duke, The Lark Wine Bar, Toro Sushi Restaurant. Plan to dress for the weather as our chef’s prepare large vats of soup no matter what the weather.
Watch Downtown Belleville’s social media channel’s for features of the participating restaurants and profiles of the judges. Facebook event link: https://www.facebook.com/events/2259068564379168/.
Things to remember
- Save your Toonies! Soup samples are $2 per cup at each participating restaurant.
- BYOS: That’s right, Bring Your Own Spoons! In an effort to reduce unnecessary waste, we encourage you to bring your own spoons to the event.
- Vote for your favourite soup! On the day of the event, you will be able to vote for your favourite soup and your vote will be included in deciding who takes home the coveted People’s Choice Award.
- We have a panel of qualified judges that will be judging the soups BLINDFOLDED! This will be on Facebook Live at the event. The winner will win the Judges Choice Award.
- Dress for the weather! We don’t know yet what the weather holds, but it will be much more enjoyable for you if you